Our approach is to work hand-in-hand with women leaders, local partners, and national and international organizations to give
women the tools they need to improve their lives, families and communities.
We are recruiting for the Position of:
Job Title: Community Mobilization Associate
Location: Sokoto, Nigeria
The Community Mobilization Associate will function as a member of a team implementing the USAID funded Targeted States High impact Program (TSHIP). The Community Mobilization Associate will work under the guidance of the Community Mobilization Specialist in implementing TSHIP's Social Mobilization strategy.
He/she will facilitate and strengthen an ongoing range of community activities of Ward Development Committees (WDC) and Village Development Committees (VDC) which aim at engaging households and communities in demanding for and increasing the use of high impact family planning, maternal child health, and reproductive health (RH/FP/MCH) services; and improving community engagement in Sokoto.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
He/she will be responsible for:
- Building the capacity of WDC, VDC and Local Government Social Mobilization Committees (LGSMC)
- Assist with capacity building, organization, revitalization and facilitation of VDCs/WDCs.
- Provide regular capacity building on community mobilization approach, using the community action cycle to VDCs/WDC5, training of community level health workers, overseeing household education and awareness activities.
- Developing community-based relationships with various stakeholders and 3) guiding periodic meetings held by the VOC, WDC and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with LGA Development Coordinators, LGA Health Coordinators, and LCIA Social Mobilization Committee.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of BASPHCDA. (in partnership with TSHIP) social mobilization approach in the zones, LGAs, wards, communities, households and health facilities.
- Identification ofCBOs, FBOs women’s groups, private and other public partnerships to enhance and support program activities.
- Support LGASMC, WDCs and VDCs to develop work plans for community mobilization and advocacy events to policy makers at the LGA and state levels.
- Develop affordable and sustainable community-link for problem solving within the community.
- Provide supportive supervision of the VDCs and WDCs for proper community mobilization activities.
- Build strong linkages with traditional leaders.
- Identify potential champions and change agents, within the community.
- In collaboration with LGA development coordinators, support VDCs/WDCs to monitor activities at health facilities.
- In collaboration with LGA health coordinators, support resource leveraging activities of WDCs/VDCs to address some of their health challenges in theirconimiuthies.
- Hold regular meetings with VDCs, WDCs, women groups within the LGAs for experience sharing and reporting.
- Bachelor's degree with three years experience in Public Health, Social Science, or a related held required.
- Strong mobilization and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of community organizing principles.
- Experience with an NGO for at least 3 years is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with the RH/FP/MCH fields concepts, practices, procedures, and platforms required.
- Fluency in both English and Hausa languages
- Good knowledge of the socio-cultural and geographic terrains in Bauchi and Sokoto State
How to Apply
Interested and Qualified candidates should send resume to:
Application Deadline 3rd October, 2012