in May 2007 and the University opened for academic activities at its takeoff campus in Obehie, Abia State, in October 2008. The University has however, recently received full accreditation status for all nine programs from the NUC. The University is now in its fifth year of operation and will be graduating its first set of students in December 2012.
The initiative for the University came from the Catholic Bishops quest for a University with a distinct Catholic Identity that would provide high quality tertiary education according to the noble tradition of the Catholic Church. In view of this, the University operates a policy of zero tolerance for Cultism, examination malpractice, harassment of any kind and other unwholesome practices. The University demands that all its staff and students should commit to the highest ethical standards.
Veritas University, Abuja operates a collegiate system and has two Colleges: College of Management Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts and Theological Studies (MSAT) and College of Natural and Applied Sciences (NAS). We offer nine (9) undergraduate programmes in Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Economics, Political Science and Diplomacy, English and Literary Studies, History and International Relations, Theology, Physics with Electronics, Industrial Chemistry and Microbiology.
It is hereby notified for general information that the position of Vice-Chancellor at Veritas University, Abuja will he vacant with effect from 6 December, 2012. The Governing Council of the University, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Universities Statutes, has approved that appropriate machinery be set in motion for the selection of a suitably qualified candidate to fill this vacancy.
Job Position: Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor is the most senior administrative and academic officer of the university. He/she exercises general supervision and control and provides strategic direction and leadership in ensuring the affairs of the University based on Catholic ideals.
- The Vice-Chancellor plays a principal role in securing and growing the financial base of the University. All powers relating to proper maintenance and discipline of students in the University is vested in the Vice- Chancellor. He works with the various bodies and authorities within the University to produce a coherent vision and general direction for the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor is a member of Council and all statutory committees of Council. In addition, he/she chairs the Senate, and other principal bodies of the University, and nominates representatives to chair others.
- The candidate must have been a Professor for not less than 10 years with an unbroken service within the University system during this period. He/she must be someone whose area of specialization fits into the programmes of the University, namely, Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Economics, Political Science and Diplomacy, English and Literary Studies, History, and International Relations, Theology and the Sciences.
- The candidate should be above board and will not foster personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interest. The candidate should also be capable of inspiring members of the University community towards the attainment of its goals.
- The candidate must enjoy very good physical and mental health and be free from any inhibiting health condition.
- The candidate must he generally acceptable to the University Community and should have varied societal linkages.
- The candidate must also satisfy the basic requirements for appointment into the University as approved by the Governing Council of the University.
- The candidate must be a member of the Catholic Church.
- The candidate must not be more than 65 years of age by December 2012.
- The candidate must demonstrate academic excellence in terms of quality publications, teaching, credible community service and proficiency in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- The candidate should possess considerable administrative experience within the University system and must show demonstrable ability to attract funds to the University.
- The candidate must be of courage and transparent honesty, who can take decisions on the merit of facts, equity and patriotism and not on the basis of parochial interests or primordial pressures. Candidate should also be free from conflict of interests.
- The candidate must have the highest moral standards, impeccable character and proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency, probity; and must ensure judicious utilization of scarce resources for Optimum public good.
Conditions of Service
Remunerations and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in other Nigerian Universities, and as may be determined from time to time by the Governing Council on behalf of the Proprietor of the University.
How to Apply
1. Interested candidates, who meet the conditions stated above, should submit 15 copies of their applications and comprehensive current curriculum vitae duly signed and dated.
2. The Curriculum Vitae must include the candidates name in full, place and date of birth, marital status, number and ages of children, nationality, academic qualifications, details of teaching, research. administrative, fund-attraction and managerial experiences, academic distinctions, membership of academic and professional bodies, scholarly publications and names and addresses of three referees.
3. The application must also include a statement of candidate’s vision for the University in the next 5 years in not more than 1,000 words and not less than 600 words.
4. Candidates must request their referees to forward references on them directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to higher academic and managerial capabilities as well as candidate’s moral uprightness.
5. Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in envelope marked at the top left hand corner "Post of Vice-Chancellor, Veritas University Abuja" to reach the Registrar, Veritas University Abuja, Obehie Campus, P. M. B. 7084, Aba, Abia State, Nigeria.
Application Deadline 25 October, 2012